Thinking of visiting sunny Santa Fe this summer? There’s so much in store for you. Our Santa Fe Summer Bucket List – Part 1 highlights opportunities for biking, hiking, and fly-fishing amidst a backdrop of natural wonder. Spend your vacation exploring the great outdoors and you’ll soon discover all that this land of enchantment has to offer – and why we call it home.
Santa Fe offers some of the best mountain biking in the nation! In fact, The City Different has earned a prestigious Silver level designation from the International Mountain Biking Association (IMBA). The variety of terrain and stunning landscape – from pine forests and white barked alpines to historic canyons and remote ridges – provides an experience you’ll never forget The top trails include:
- Winsor Trail
- Galisteo Basin
- Dale Ball
- La Tierra Trails
Check out our Top 4 Trails for Santa Fe Mountain Biking to learn more about each trail.
Mountain Biking Safety Tips:
- Pack the Right Gear (gloves, helmet, pads, durable clothing, eye protection)
- Inspect Your Mountain Bike (tire pressure, breaks, chain, and pedals)
- Assess Your Skill Level (choose the right trail for your skill level)
- Prepare Your Body (make sure you’re fueled and hydrated – bring snacks and water for longer rides)
- Be Prepared (charged cell phone and first-aid kit)
- Check the Trail Conditions (check the weather before heading out)
Get up close and personal with Santa Fe’s raw beauty as you head out on foot to explore. Trails abound for all skill levels, and like mountain biking, offer hikers a variety of terrain and scenery. Open meadows, aromatic forests, historic canyons, steep inclines, scenic switchbacks – you’ll find all this and more against sunny, turquoise skies. Here are some recommendations and resources to plan ahead:
Hiking Safety Tips:
- Be Weather Ready (check weather conditions ahead of time and dress appropriately, including layers)
- Pack Smart (bring along a cell phone/GPS, water and snacks, a map, first-aid kit)
- Notify Friends or Family (leave a trip plan with friends or family so they know where you’re going, when you’re leaving and when you plan to return).
- Hike Smart (take breaks, watch your step, stay away from slopes, follow trail maps and guidelines, be alert to wildlife)
Imagine the scene… You’re standing under blue skies, breathing in the fresh, crisp mountain air as eagles soar overhead. You cast your line in the rippling river and soon battle a rainbow trout tugging on the other end. Santa Fe is an angler’s paradise. In fact, the Santa Fe National Forest boasts hundreds of miles of streams and fish-bearing lakes. Visit the USDA Forest Service for a multitude of great river and stream fishing spots.
Fishing Safety Tips:
- Always wear a US Coast Guard-approved life jacket.
- Wear sun protection.
- Assess water conditions before entering.
- Only cast where fishing is permitted.
- Stay alert to wildlife.
- View more.
After a day of mountain biking, trail hiking or fly-fishing, return to the comforts and amenities at Inn of the Turquoise Bear for some much-needed down time. Your iconic Santa Fe getaway is just a click away. Book now.
Updated May 2023