A New Mexican breakfast standard, our Huevos Rancheros is one of our guests’ favorite and it is available for guests to enjoy every morning! One of our favorite guests, Gigi, has been known to order it every day of her two week stay… unless our Blue Corn Pinon Pancakes are on the Menu. Considered a basic farm or peasant food, this dish which features our Head Housekeeper, Violeta’s family recipe for red chile, has had lifelong New Mexicans proclaim….”These are the best Huevos Rancheros I’ve ever tasted!”
- 1 bag (10 oz) dried red chile pods
- 3 cloves garlic (optional)
- ¼ small onion (optional)
- 1 Jalapeño diced
- ½ small onion diced
- 2 Roma Tomatoes diced
- Shredded Mexican Style cheese
- Corn tortillas
- Flour tortillas
- Vegetable oil, olive oil or butter
FOR THE RED CHILE SAUCE
1. Remove stems from chile pods, shake out seeds and place pods in large pot.
2. Cover with water and bring to boil. Simmer for 30 to 40 minutes. Let cool.
3. Place hydrated chile pods in blender or food processor with 2 cups of the cooking liquid. Add optional garlic and raw onion if desired. Blend until smooth. Discard water and seeds from boiling pot and rinse.
4. Pass blended chile through fine mesh sieve or strainer into pot used to cook chile pods.
5. Simmer for 10 to 20 minutes until “tomato sauce” consistency is reached.
6. Cool and place in air-tight container until ready for use.
FOR THE QUESO SALSA
1. Sautee diced Jalapeño, onion, and Roma tomato until onion is soft.
2. Add ¼ cup shredded Mexican Style cheese and mix until smooth and combined. Add some water if dry. Set aside.
ASSEMBLING THE HUEVOS RANCHEROS
1. Heat the Corn Tortillas. Place 2 tsp of oil or butter in frying pan. Heat the tortillas
2. A minute or two on each side, until they are heated through, softened, and pockets of air bubble up inside of them. Place on serving plate.
3. Cook your eggs. Use the same frying pan to cook eggs to liking. Over easy is traditional.
4. Place cooked eggs on top of corn tortillas.
5. Pour ¼ cup prepared Red Chile Sauce (more or less to taste) on top of eggs. Shake/swirl plate to distribute sauce.
6. Place 2 Tbs (more or less to your liking) of the Queso Salsa on top of Red Chile Sauce.
7. Cover sauce with shredded Mexican Style Cheese.
8. Place under a broil or in hot oven to melt cheese.
9. Place flour tortilla in dry frying pan used to cook eggs to heat tortilla. Fold tortilla as desired and serve with Huevos Rancheros