A sope is a traditional Mexican dish consisting of a fried masa (ground corn) base with savory toppings. Innkeeper Dan created this dish as a way to use more chicken and green chile in our breakfast service. The New Mexican green chile makes this an innovative and authentic New Mexican dish. It has quickly become one of our guest’s favorites. Don’t let the multi-components intimidate you. Each is very easy and the completed dish is very satisfying. It fits the Bear’s culinary vision….Innovative comfort food! Enjoy!
- 2 Chicken Breasts and/or Thighs
- 1 Tbs Cumin
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 1/2 White Onion
- 4 Tbs Roasted New Mexico Green Chile
- ½ cup half n half or milk (can be omitted)
- 1 tsp fresh or dried oregano
- 1 tsp fresh or dried thyme
- 2 cups masa harina corn flour
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 tsp Kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ¼ cup corn niblets, fresh or frozen
- 1 chopped green onion
- 4-5 sprigs of parsley or cilantro chopped
- 3 Tbs Olive or other vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup crumbled queso fresco (can be omitted)
- Diced Avocado
- Diced Tomato
FOR THE GREEN CHILE CHICKEN
1. Cover chicken with water and add cumin, 2 cloves garlic sliced, ¼ white onion. Bring water to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
2. Cool chicken for 20 minutes, shred and set aside. Reserve broth.
3. Dice remaining onion and garlic, sauté in pan until translucent, add broth to aid process. May also chop the garlic and onions from broth and add to pan.
4. Add green chile and herbs to sautéed vegetables, then add chicken and some broth. Add half & half and reduce liquid. May thicken with cornstarch and water slurry.
FOR THE SOPE
1. Place milk, butter, salt, sugar, corn, and green onion in sauce pan and heat just until butter is melted.
2. Crumble queso fresco into bowl with masa harina. Add warm milk mixture. Mix thoroughly and cover with plastic wrap for 20 minutes.
3. Form Masa into 8 equal balls. Flatten each with saucer to small pancake size using parchment paper.
4. Fry sope pancakes in 3Tbs Olive oil over medium heat until golden brown, then flip to brown other side. Place on paper towels in warm oven until service.
1. Top Sope with portion of shredded chicken.
2. Top chicken mixture with egg prepared as you choose. Over easy is traditional.
3. Garnish with chopped parsley or cilantro, queso fresco, tomato, and avocado.