We enjoy providing our guests with fresh, tasty, and nutritious breakfast options at our Santa Fe inn. As a bed and breakfast, this can be challenging when guests require a vegan, gluten-free or dairy-free diet. Our sweet breakfast quinoa porridge is one of our go -to’s for guests who can’t enjoy our typical sweet breakfast offerings like pancakes or waffles. It’s become a guest favorite. Quinoa is one of the few plant-based sources of complete protein. With its mild flavor, light crunch and impressive protein content, quinoa is the perfect gluten-free option for our guests. So quick and easy to prepare also. Enjoy!
Sweet Breakfast Quinoa
Total Time: 25 min
Cook Time: 10 min
- 1 cup(s) red or tri-color quinoa, rinsed
- 2 cup(s) water
- 1 tablespoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup(s) roughly chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup(s) dried apricots, chopped
- 2 tablespoon(s) pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) finely grated orange zest
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) cinnamon
- 1/4 cup(s) fresh ricotta
- In a small saucepan, cover the quinoa with the water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook over low heat until the water has been absorbed and the quinoa is tender, about 15 minutes. Lightly fluff the quinoa with a fork and cover it again.
- In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the almonds and cook over moderate heat, stirring a few times, until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Add the apricots, maple syrup, orange zest, orange juice, and cinnamon, and stir well until heated through.
- Add the quinoa to the skillet and stir gently to incorporate the almonds and apricots. Top each portion of quinoa with a tablespoon of ricotta, drizzle of maple syrup, and serve.