A hallmark of Spring at the Inn is our Lemon Ricotta Pancakes with fresh blueberries and we have decided to share our lemon pancakes recipe with you! The combination of lemon and blueberries is a classic and fresh-tasting pairing. These lemon pancakes are light and fluffy because you separate the eggs and beat the egg whites to incorporate air into them before folding them into the batter just before pouring it onto the griddle. Greasing the griddle makes for a beautiful mottled pancake. This lemon pancakes recipe has become a guest favorite at our Santa Fe bed and breakfast with many exclaiming that they don’t need any syrup. Enjoy!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup (2%) milk
- 3 teaspoons grated lemon zest (1 lemon)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries plus more for garnish (optional)
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl until well combined. Set aside. In a separate large bowl, whisk together ricotta, egg yolks, milk, lemon zest and vanilla. Stir flour mixture into egg mixture just until combined.
- Beat egg whites with an electric mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Gently fold beaten egg whites into pancake mixture just until blended.
- Lightly grease a large nonstick griddle or skillet over medium high heat (350°).
- Pour 1.5 ounce or approximately 1/4 cup batter onto griddle and spread to make about 3-inch pancake.
- Drop 4 to 5 blueberries onto each pancake. Cook 3 minutes, or until edges are dry and bottom is golden. Flip pancake and cook 2 to 3 minutes longer or until lightly golden on both sides.
- Dust with powdered sugar and garnish with lemon zest and additional blueberries if desired.
- Top with some home-made lemon curd for something really special!