Our green chile waffles break all the rules, but boy are they good! Are they a sweet dish or a savory dish? This is debated around our breakfast table by guests and staff alike. While they are a savory waffle most of our guests add maple syrup and take delight in the perfect crunchy bite of savory, sweet, and spicy. Eggs on top or on the side is a personal decision. Add a dollop of Avocado Lime Crema! Our Turquoise Bear green chile waffles are a perfect winter brunch addition. Makes 5 to 6 servings. Enjoy!
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups corn meal
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- ½ cup chopped roasted green chile
- Combine dry ingredients and set aside.
- Mix wet ingredients and add to the dry ingredients.
- Fold in cheese and green chile. Do not to over mix. The batter to be slightly lumpy.
- Heat waffle iron and pour about 1/2 cup batter for each waffle.
- Keep waffles warm in 200°F oven, if desired.
- Top with egg.